Afro Tutu

Afro Tutu

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Feminist in Me........?

Growing up, I was very observant of the expectations society, and women themselves, placed upon the idea of the "modern woman". I grew up in a time where women were no longer satisfied to stay at home, or to pursue careers that were previously the socially accepted norms for the working woman. I will dare say, that in my conscious existence, society was actually well past that phase of the evolution of the modern woman. I grew up with women like Clair Huxtable as role models for what a grown-up woman was supposed to be like. Not only was she a working woman, but she was super intelligent, strong, beautiful, funny, and always there when the kids needed her. She was, in no way, seen as the second in command to Heathcliff's lead. She was in every way, a formidable presence in the household, and yet they still had a romance and love for each other that time had only made stronger. Gone were the June Cleavers of the world, who dutifully kissed their men as they returned from work, who always had a hot meal ready, and always made sure to have a freshly done layer of make-up. That is, except to be parodied in shows like The Simpsons. I grew up thinking that to be a successful woman who was looked up to, you had to aspire to be successful in the business world, that you shouldn't be expected to do the more domestic things in life, and that having kids was fine for some, but that it shouldn't be a compromise for your freedom to be an independent woman. 
It seems to me that, as time moves on, the portrayal of women through social media and pop culture, are pretty much on par with what they were in the late 90's. The biggest stumbling block I have noticed with "women's lib" seem to be us women ourselves. It seems women are so busy trying to fight societies view of what society expects of us, that we never took the time to realize that we already have won. We won with Clair Huxtable. It has gotten to the point now, that we are at odds with each other over what a feminist actually is, and what she should think, and how she should behave. There is still a large faction of women who feel that in order to be a true modern woman, you need to stick to your guns and prove you are as good as, or better than, the men around you, especially in the business world. They have the idea that to breastfeed, stay at home with the children, or be a mother before an individual, is to knock the progress we have made as a society of women, back to the days of June Clever. I think this is such an unfortunate view point. I know that there is still double standards, especially for the sexual behavior of women as opposed to men, but I think that the attitude presented in pop culture, that we are still struggling as women to be accepted as equals, is only furthering those double standards. I think that the majority of men already do view us as equals, and if we were to accept that, and just represent that in our lives, and in our tv shows, social media, etc., the rest would fall in line. We as women, are our biggest enemy. 
I also feel that, because of this, those of us that choose to be mothers first, are made to feel a bit guilty of our choices, but I refuse! I think the ultimate form of feminism, is to make your own life choices, and be proud of them. To embrace that we have come to a wonderful place in the fact that we have choices. I have the option to be a working mom, or a stay at home mom. I have that choice, and that right. We should rejoice in that! We have options and are no longer made to live our lives in one certain way in order to be perfect women. It is a beautiful thing! And it is even more beautiful that we don't have to be perfect women. And, come on, isn't that real freedom?

3 comments:

  1. Amen! So thankful we - women, have choices and are not expected to be perfect. Now, if only I could get that through to my head. E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect or not, you are wonderful and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Sweetheart. You are an awesome young lady. E

    ReplyDelete