Afro Tutu

Afro Tutu

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ahhh... The Ghosts of Christmas Insanity....

Although I love the holiday season, I am not too sure it is actually the most wonderful time of year. Actually, let me rephrase that... Although I love the holiday season, I am pretty sure that it brings out the best and worst of human nature, and, therefore, while it is wonderful in one way, it is ironically, also a time when good will toward men is only reserved for charities and anyone who does not get in your way while driving or shopping...


Most people would like to believe that this time of year people tend to share, give, and love a bit more than any other time of year. We would like to believe that we celebrate the beauty of human kind, and have a heightened sense of charity. And to an extent, this is true. During this time of year, we always hear stories of people giving, above and beyond what is expected of us. This year, we have heard of anonymous samaritans paying off strangers lay-a-way items without taking the spotlight for it and screaming, "I did this, aren't I great!" We have also heard of a man in Pennsylvania who handed out $100 bills to the needy, and was only 'identified' as Secret Santa by the red stamps on the bills. He even refused to let the news cameras film his face, because he wanted his gift to be about the gift itself, and not about how good of a person he was.  I have just read about a thrift store that was giving away toys so families that may not have been able to otherwise, could have Christmas presents. I am sure if you took a poll, more people give to charities and to the homeless this time of year than any other. And all of this is wonderful. We, as a society do, in a way, become more charitable during Christmas. 


But, what is it about us that makes us so cruel to the strangers directly in our paths this time of year? Especially if we feel that they are impeding on us getting that hot deal on that hot Christmas gift before they can. Or, that last parking spot that is anywhere near the front of the store. I remember one Christmas season when I was shopping with my mom, we had finally found a parking spot at the mall after circling the lot for what seemed like forever. A man in a big truck had wanted that parking spot so badly, that he actually pushed our van out of the spot with his truck! Then, there is the ever popular story of the Christmas that the Nintendo first came out. My mom had gone Christmas shopping to buy my sister and me one. She told me that, after grabbing the last one off of the shelf, she had to physically hold it in her cart, because a woman came over and tried to take it right out of my mother's hands! There are stories like this told all the time. Not to mention the lovely woman who decided to pepper spray other patrons to make sure she got her Black Friday goodies. Or, even worse, the 2008 Walmart stampede that killed a security guard who was unlocking the doors to let in the Black Friday rush. 


As well as the shopping frenzy that causes normal everyday people to turn into the likes of Sean Penn dealing with paparazzi, you have the road rage.. I doubt I am the only one that noticed that road rage incidences escalate this time of year. To use an age old saying, If I had a dollar for every time I saw a middle finger this time of year, I would be able to put all four of my kids through med school. I can't tell you how much it amazes me, every year, how thoughtful and giving people can be on one hand, and yet, on the other be so completely consumed by the materialistic drive of commercial Christmas. 


I know that many other people have touched on this subject. I know that one little, barely read blog is going to do much to change all of this, but I can continue to pray that people wake up to the insanity that they are bestowing upon the world, and lighten up a bit. It would be such a beautiful thing if people would stop and reflect on what this season is supposed to be, regardless of religious affiliations. Christmas is supposed to be about putting others before yourself. It is about celebrating the wonder and kindness of the human spirit, and that isn't even counting what it should mean to Christians. The next time you are tempted to flip off the driver who got that parking space before you, or who managed to get that last toy on the shelf, or even the guy who cuts you off in traffic (and I KNOW this is the hard one) try thinking about what this time of year is really about. Although, I think it would be wonderful if everyone could implement the spirit of giving all year long, I won't try to push my luck, but really, would it really hurt to just let it go and be graceful and thoughtful, just this once... Just for this one time of year, if nothing else??

No comments:

Post a Comment